When to Apply
2018-19 Federal Direct PLUS cannot be completed until after May 1st, 2018. Federal Direct Parent Plus loan funds needed to pay the student’s balance in the Business Office must be applied for at least 30 days prior to the payment due date to allow sufficient processing time. The student must have a completed FAFSA on file, and have received their 2018-19 financial aid award notice before Concordia College can process any PLUS loan applications.
- Parent’s FSA ID number (this is the same FSA ID used to sign FAFSA). If you don't have an FSA ID you can create one at the login page of www.studentloans.gov.
- Parent and student Social Security numbers
- Current address and phone number
- Driver’s license number
- Name, address and telephone number of two personal references who have known you for at least three years and who reside at different addresses
- Be sure to use full legal name for parent and student, and select Concordia College-Moorhead when prompted to provide school name.
- Complete FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Receive student’s award notice from Concordia College
- Go to https://studentloans.gov and sign in with the parental FSA ID.
- Choose "Request a PLUS Loan" to indicate the amount the parent borrower wishes to request and have their credit check completed by the Department of Education.
*Note: Concordia College will not automatically process loan requests that are submitted with a loan amount of "maximum." If you need assistance in calculating the amount of the PLUS Loan funds needed, please contact the Financial Aid Office at (218) 299-3010. a) If the Federal Direct PLUS Loan is Credit approved, parent will need to continue on to complete a Federal Direct PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note. If a Promissory Note does not get completed, loan funds will not disburse to the student's account. b) If the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Credit is denied, Concordia College will "Offer" the student any additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan the student may be eligible for. The parent will receive an email to the email address listed during the Direct PLUS loan request process letting them know that additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan is available to their student and letting them know they have the option to add an endorser on the Direct PLUS loan if they would like the credit to be reevaluated by the Department of Education instead of the additional "Offered" Unsubsidized Direct loan in the students name. The student will be able to accept all or a portion of that additional loan "Offered" to them.