College students tend to push themselves pretty hard. Balancing classes, a job, extracurriculars, and a social life is as difficult as it sounds. While many of us have mastered the art of the balancing act (often at the expense of our sleep schedules), we can’t be at 100% all the time.
Whether you’re struggling with your physical health or need someone to talk to about personal difficulties, Concordia has the resources to get you the help you need.
Kjos Health Center
Located between the Livedalen and Hoyum residence halls, the Kjos Health Center is Concordia's on-campus clinic. They accept walk-ins or you can call ahead and schedule an appointment. From treating the common cold to offering certified laboratory tests, the Kjos Health Center has a wide range of services, including:
- Diagnosis and outpatient treatment of respiratory, gastrointestinal, genitourinary, skin, neuromuscular and orthopedic conditions
- Physical examination for varsity athletics, graduate school application, premarital requests and employment
- Psychiatric services and referrals
- Gynecological services including pregnancy testing and prenatal care
- Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Certified laboratory tests
- Limited immunizations and TB screening
- First aid
- Suture removal
- Allergy injections
- Support services for rape and abuse
- Nutrition and diet counseling and referral
- Referral to specialists
Check with your insurance company before you go to make sure they will cover your visit. All charges not covered by insurance are the responsibility of you and your parents. If it is covered, simply bring your insurance card with you to show the health center staff.
Sometimes you may be struggling with difficulties that a cough drop or Band-Aid can’t fix. Getting personal help from a professional counselor is both normal and healthy. Concordia’s Counseling Center offers free individual, couple and group counseling services to all enrolled students where you can talk about the personal, social, relational or academic difficulties you’ve been facing. They are there to help you succeed in all areas of your life and they offer a wide range of services to meet any of your needs, including:
- Personal growth
- Interpersonal relationships
- Grief and loss
- Eating problems and body image
- Alcohol and drug abuse referral source
- Rape and crisis counseling
- Disability services
- And more
If an urgent situation occurs during business hours, the Counseling Center advises that you call them immediately and ask to speak with a counselor. Otherwise, contact the Security/Public Safety Office at 218.299.3123 or the police at 911. Your safety and health is the number one priority.
To schedule a regular appointment, stop by the Counseling Center in Academy 106 or give them a call at 218.299.3514. Appointments are usually available within one week.
Kjos Health Center
Hoyum Hall (north wing)
Nurse on duty: 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday
Healthcare Provider on duty: 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
Counseling Center and Disability Services
Academic Year: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Closed on holidays and academic breaks
Bailey Tillman '18 studies multimedia journalism, Spanish and film studies at Concordia.