“Hey where is Grocery Bingo tonight?”
“I want to apply to be an RA, but I have no idea when applications are open.”
“Maybe running for an SGA class rep is a good idea, except how many hours a week do I have to commit?”
“Is CSC meeting at 4 p.m. or 6 p.m. to go volunteer at Churches United for the Homeless?”
Being involved in campus life at Concordia is easy if you know where to get the information. It’s knowing where to get the information that can be most challenging! While you’re balancing your academics, staying on top of connections with friends and family, working, and trying to fit in three meals a day and maybe some sleep, the amount of information coming at you can feel just plain overwhelming.
Introducing ConcoLife: a mobile app just for staying connected to student life at Concordia. Rather than keeping track of events and activities via all the social media channels, emails, handouts you received from Cobber Expo, or the posters you see on bulletin boards all across campus, download our app and have the latest list of events and activities at your fingertips.
My top 5 tips for making ConcoLife work for you:
- If you’re a first-year student, start by using it to access your Fall Orientation schedule. You can see each event and activity and read the description so you know what to expect. Each club has a slightly different schedule for meals and other events, so you’ll always know where you’re going and when if you look in the app.
- Start looking at the events and activities you don’t want to miss and add them to your calendar. You can filter by semester by tapping the book image in the top toolbar next to “Line Up.” When you are inside an event, swipe left and you’ll get a green “Add” button.
- Filter events and activities by your personal interests. If you’re interested in Wellness events (Zumba anyone?), click the filter image in the top toolbar next to “Line Up.” Then choose from the tags like Wellness, Service, Faith and more.
- Check out the Leadership Catalog by clicking on “Campus” in the bottom toolbar. The Leadership Catalog is a new tool that lists the leadership and involvement positions you can apply for. Filters include whether a position is paid or unpaid, how many hours per week it entails, when to apply, and how long of a time commitment the position is. One great feature of the Leadership Catalog is that each position lists the Top 5 skills you can gain by serving in this role. When you’re working on your résumé or getting ready for any interview, the Leadership Catalog can serve as a good reminder of what skills you’ve developed. Tell those future employers how being involved in leadership at Concordia makes you a great hire!
- In the “Campus” section where you found the Leadership Catalog, you can also find additional resources. These resources will change as the year goes on, so currently it houses a page on meeting the Orientation Leaders and information just to welcome the class of 2020. Move-in day logistics, a suggested packing list, and things to see and do in Fargo-Moorhead are included.
Campus life at Concordia boasts hundreds of opportunities for you to be engaged and involved and getting access to these choices is now easier than ever. We can’t wait to see you at student life events this year or in a leadership position!
Contact the Office of Student Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ConcoLife-related questions or suggestions.
*Additional features for the Android version coming soon.
Nathalie Rinehardt '04 is the senior associate director of Student Engagement.