What is the shadowing program?
The shadowing program provides an opportunity for all students to learn about a career opportunity that is related to their major. Students will spend a day with an alum or parent at their place of work to learn more about their field.
Who is eligible to participate?
Any student at Concordia who has completed one semester and is in good standing with the college.
When am I able to participate in the shadowing program?
The shadowing program is offered during Christmas break and spring break. You will be notified of application deadlines for each.
Where can I complete my shadowing experience?
We will try to accommodate your desired location; where you will be during the break for which you are applying. Most opportunities will be in the Fargo-Moorhead area as well as the Minneapolis/St. Paul area.
What are the benefits of participating in the shadowing program?
- Opportunity to learn about jobs in your field of study
- Begin to understand employer expectations
- Start to develop your network of professionals and learn networking skills
- Increase self-awareness and confidence
- Help to determine the fit of your career interest
- May help you solidify choices of classes, internships, minors and electives in future semesters
What will I do during shadowing?
Activities may include:
- A tour of the organization
- Observing meetings and office tasks
- Talk with your sponsor about their path and educational background
- Opportunity to meet co-workers, participate in informational interviews
- Meet with human resources to understand what they look for in college graduates
- Research organization on website
- Have lunch with sponsor and co-workers
What is the process to sign up for the shadowing program?
- Fill out the application online
- Indicate your area of interest
- Sign the agreement
- Application must be complete to be considered
- You will be notified of your alumni/parent sponsor and you will make contact with them to confirm date, time and location
- Attend your shadowing day
- Fill out the assessment regarding your experience once complete
What costs are involved in the shadowing program?
There are no fees for signing up for the program. However, you are responsible for your own transportation to and from your shadowing location.
What tips do you have to make a good impression?
- Before you go, make sure to research their website so you know basic information about what they do
- Make sure you have all of the contact information gathered and ready for your first day
- Be prompt and on time
- Dress professionally
- Put your phone on silent or leave it at home
- Practice your professional handshake and introduction before you go. You will be meeting a lot of new people
- Bring a small notebook or pad folio to write down information or questions
- Act in a professional manner at all times
- Make sure to follow up and thank your sponsor after the experience