Financial Aid Steps For Study Away
- The semester prior to your departure, meet with your Study Away Advisor to receive your Estimated Expenses Guide and review the costs of the program.
- Complete the next academic year's FAFSA after January 1st and submit any other additional documentation requested by the Financial Aid Office.
- Receive your financial aid reward.
- If you are in need of additional loan options to cover any extra expenses, please contact the Financial Aid Office to schedule an appointment to discuss what additional loans are available to you.
- Complete the additional loan applications if you choose to take out additional loan funds.
- Contact the Business Office to make sure that you have made the appropriate arrangements to receive a refund check if you have taken loans greater than what you are billed for by Concordia College and are expecting to receive a refund.
If you choose to participate in a Concordia approved semester or year-long program you will continue to pay Concordia tuition. Your tuition payment covers up to 17 US equivalent credits, housing insurance, supplemental health insurance (over and above Concordia’s travel insurance) and student fees required by your study away host. If you participate in an approved program your courses are guaranteed to transfer as Concordia credit.
Concordia tuition does not cover: residence permits, passport application fees, visas, books, transportation (air and ground), utilities, internet, telecommunications, security deposits and personal expenses. Your study away advisor will provide you with an estimated expenses guide to help you plan for these additional expenses.
The costs for room and board vary by program, payment arrangements and style of accommodation. In many cases, you will not have a meal plan and will be responsible for your own food, so it is important to consider the cost of living in the location where you would like to study, as it might be cheaper or more expensive than Fargo/Moorhead. If you are charged Concordia room and board, this will be billed with your tuition for the semester you study away.
Study Away Fee
All semester and year-long students are required to pay an additional study away fee. This fee covers the additional costs of administering our study away programs and the services offered by the Global Learning Department. You also receive comprehensive international travel insurance that covers you from the time your depart the US until your return (including time you spend traveling before or after your study away experience).
The study away fee is $600. The fee is billed with your tuition for the semester you study away.
We make every effort to identify safe and academically rigorous study away programs that are similar in cost to tuition, room and board at Concordia so that study away program are affordable for most students. Unfortunately some programs can be more expensive and for these programs we charge an additional program fee.
Most of your costs for tuition/room/board will be billed just like you were studying on campus or payable to your study away host when you arrive. However there are several costs that you will need to pay in advance.
- $200 deposit when you submit your application to study away. This amount will be deducted from your total bill, but may be nonrefundable if you withdraw your application.
- Most programs require you to purchase your own airfare (the program in India is the only one where the airfare is included in the program fee). If you are interested in booking through a travel agency, STA Travel [http://www.statravel.com/airfare-deposit-program.htm] is a reputable student travel service with a "Book Now, Pay Later" program.
- Many programs require a visa or residence permit to study abroad. Your study abroad advisor can tell you if your program requires a special visa or permit.