Meet with your advisor regularly to ensure that sufficient progress is being made towards graduation. Discuss how study away fits in with your chosen majors and minors. There is a program for everybody, but some majors require more planning to fit it in.
When, Where and How Long
When determining between programs, there are some factors to consider.
- Programs requirements and pre-requisites: Some programs have specific pre-requisites that must be completed prior to participation. Certain semester and year-long program have a minimum class-standing for participation.
- Concordia course availability: Many majors require classes that may only be available on campus. These often are not offered every semester. Think about when you will need to be on campus to take these classes.
- Jobs and internships: May programs extend your academic year by a month while some semester programs may extend into the summer. Consider how the dates of your chosen program can affect your summer plans.
- Housing arrangements and contracts
- Extracurricular activities: Consider sports, clubs, leadership positions, musical ensembles and how you will balance studying away with these other responsibilities.
Students choose their study away program for any number of reasons but finding the right program is essential to having a successful experience.