The Concordia College Choral Festival will be
January 19-20, 2018
Mark your calendar and plan to attend our 2018 Choral Festival. Registration is DUE BY DEC. 15.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much does the festival cost?
The registration is $10 per student. But, as you work on budgets and students ask how much money they should bring, there are a few "travel expenses" you should consider. As choir director, you will be responsible for your personal Friday night housing expense, as well as breakfast for yourself on Saturday. As far as student expenses, if you are traveling, factor in Friday evening dinner expense on the road (we do provide a pizza snack at 9 p.m.). The other meal on the road may be Saturday evening after dismissal. And lastly, your transportation expenses.
2. What room and board is included?
Concordia provides the following:
Friday evening: Pizza around 9 p.m.; on-campus housing will be available for students. Current choir members have graciously volunteered their rooms for this purpose. Gordon and Sue will work out these details. Specific information will be given to each student at registration. If you would like to make a request for your students to room with a specific person, for example, a current Concordia student who lives on campus from your hometown, please feel free to make that request known in advance. Nothing is more welcoming than a familiar face!
Saturday: Breakfast and lunch will be provided to the students. Directors will have a separate luncheon with Concordia voice faculty.
3. Do I need to purchase the music for my students?
Yes, you should plan to purchase music for your students. These are the selections that should be well rehearsed prior to the festival:
- Witness by Jack Halloran, SSAATTBB published by Gentry Press distributed by Hal Leonard, JG2010.
- O My Luve's Like A Red, Red Rose by René Clausen, SATB, Mark Foster/ Hal Leonard MF3065.
- The Music of Living by Dan Forrest, SATB, Hinshaw Music HMC2321.
4. What time do we need to be there, and how do I get there?
Registration begins at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 19. Feel free to arrive sooner if you would like.
5. What do my students need to bring?
An overnight bag and a sleeping bag/pillow. If your student is a junior or senior and is registered for a solo audition, they should bring their solo piece, in addition to the other pieces listed above.
6. What should the students wear at the concert performance on Saturday?
Males should wear shirt and tie. Females should wear a dress or dress pants and blouse - essentially, we want everyone to look sharp.
7. What are the specifics of the Saturday finale concert? Are guests welcome?
The concert is from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. in Memorial Auditorium, on the Concordia College Campus. There will be plenty of seating available for guests and we are pleased that Memorial Auditorium will be "home" to the 2018 festival including rehearsals and concerts.