North Star Chamber Music Festival and Symposium
The North Star Chamber Music Festival and Symposium will bring together educators and string & piano players in grade 8 through college along with Concordia student mentors for a week of string orchestra, chamber music, new music reading sessions, and a conducting seminar. Each year, guest educators will serve as speakers on special topics and coach ensembles. Students will be able to play side by side in several settings, culminating in a final chamber music concert.
All events will take place in the Hvidsten Hall of Music, located on the corner of 5th Street and 12th Avenue South in Moorhead.
- Chamber music and string orchestra rehearsals/coachings/performances
- Solo/chamber music and musicianship workshops and masterclasses
- Participant/Faculty Recitals
- Private Lessons
- Conducting Workshop
- Composition Workshop
- NEW: Opportunity to perform at the Fargo-Moorhead Symphony Orchestra's Symphony Rocks Concert on August 17 (optional)
- ASTA Reading Session (date TBA)
- Chamber music collaborations with Concordia faculty/college student mentors and educator participants
- Presentations by guest educator faculty
- Option to attend orchestra rehearsal/chamber coaching/masterclasses/workshops
- Participant/Faculty recitals
Student Registration Details
- Cost: $285
- Final registration deadline: May 1
- Placement Audition Repertoire:
- Strings: Prepare a video recording of a solo excerpt of your choice (2 min.), and a major and minor scale of the applicant’s choice (violin/viola/cello – 3 octaves; double bass – 2 octaves)
- Piano: Prepare a video recording of a solo piano composition that best demonstrates your musical and technical talents.
- Returning students needn't submit a formal audition, but it would be helpful to see an updated video of your most recent playing for repertoire assignments.
Educator Registration Details
- No cost!
- Dr. Sonja Bosca-Harasim, Violin and Viola
- Dr. Gregory Hamilton, Cello and Double Bass
- Dr. Kevin F.E. Sütterlin, Orchestra and Conducting
- Dr. Doug Harbin, Piano, Composition, and Musicianship