Am I required to live on campus?

Residence Life knows that living on campus is linked to higher levels of academic achievement, increased student engagement, and students enjoy it. Students are required to live on-campus for 2 years/4 semesters. 

What happens when someone on my floor gets sick? 

  • If a student tests positive for COVID-19, they will be required to isolate for approximately 14 days.  
  • If a student has come in close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19, they will be required to quarantine for approximately 14 days. (State contact tracers will determine who specifically is required to quarantine).  
  • When in isolation or quarantine, students must be separated from others and stay in their isolation or quarantine location for the required duration. 
  • The preferred isolation or quarantine location for students is at their permanent home because while we can provide care for you, it’s often not the same way your family can provide care. 
  • If you live on campus and cannot return home to isolate or quarantine, we do have a limited number of isolation and quarantine spaces available - mostly vacant campus apartments we are reserving for this purpose. We will coordinate basic needs, such as access to meals and basic medical supplies. 
  • Staff and faculty will work with students in isolation and quarantine to allow them to continue their academic work remotely. 

Should I still plan on an early move-in because of my activity? (speech, sports, etc.) 

Students should contact their coach/advisor about their arrival date. If students are arriving early for a college-sponsored activity, there is no additional charge and they are able to move directly into their Fall housing assignment 

Can I have my own room? 

If you need a single room for a medical reason, you will need to coordinate through Disability Services. Contact the Disability Services Coordinator, Matt Rutten to learn about the process. 

Other students who are interested in a single occupancy room can fill out the Single Occupancy Interest Form on MyHousing. This form does not guarantee a single occupancy room, but it will allow you to participate in the online Single Occupancy Room Selection. Depending on the number of students interested and rooms available, it’s possible that not all students who are interested will be able to secure a single occupancy room. 

How is my roommate assigned? May I request a particular roommate?

Incoming students have two options:

  1. You can use the Roommate Search option in MyHousing to view profiles of students who have been assigned to the same hall as you. You'll be able to contact students who might be a good match and select each other as roommates. This process takes place June 4-21. 
  2. You can choose to have Residence Life match you with a roommate. Every housing application is carefully reviewed and efforts are made to match you with a roommate who has similar interests and living habits.

When will I find out my room and roommate assignment?

We begin making residence hall assignments April 1. These assignments are made bi-weekly, so be sure to check your Concordia email (or MyHousing) to see which dorm you've been assigned to. Specific room/roommate assignments are sent out in mid-July. You will receive an email that will include your room assignment and your roommate's name and contact information.

Do you have coed residence halls?

All residence halls and apartments are coed.

  • Traditional Residence Halls:
    • In Erickson, Hallett, Hoyum, Livedalen, and most floors of Park Region, men and women live on separate floors. 
    • In Fjelstad, men and women live on the same floors (in same-gender rooms).
  • Apartments and Townhouses:
    • Bogstad Apartments (and Boe-Olsen, which are offline for 2021-22): Men and women live on the same floors (in same-gender apartments). 
    • Townhouses: May be mixed gender.

What housing options do you have for those who might not fit into the gender binary?

Residence Life works closely with students who are transgender, nonbinary, or are simply unsure how they might navigate the on-campus housing environment. Residence Life also wants to be mindful and work closely with students who might have special housing considerations related to a student’s religious or cultural practices. In general, we want students to live where they feel the safest and most comfortable. Contact our office so we can best assist and support you.

What are the Living Learning Communities?

Living Learning Communities provide those who share a common interest the opportunity to live on a specialized floor and engage more deeply. LLCs that are available to incoming students are the Sexuality and Gender Inclusion Community in Park Region and the Multicultural Living Community in Fjelstad.

To apply to live in an LLC, indicate your interest on the MyHousing app.

How big are the dorms?  

General dimensions of Hallett/Erickson/Hoyum/Livedalen rooms are approximately 15 feet by 12 feet. Most Park Region rooms have triangular-ish shaped rooms that are 15 feet long and 9 feet wide at the narrow end and 18 feet wide at the larger end.

You can view sample floor plans and photos on the residence halls page.

Are the residence hall rooms furnished?

All rooms are furnished with beds, mattresses, dressers, closets, desks or study tables, chairs, and window coverings. While all of the college furnishings must remain in the room for the entire year, you can add some of your own small pieces of furniture as space allows. All traditional hall rooms also have a microfridge included (minifridge, freezer, and microwave combo).

What should I bring with me for my room?

You'll definitely want to personalize and decorate your new home away from home. Common items include:

  • computer
  • additional furnishings like TV, Blu-Ray or DVD player, stereo, etc.
  • posters, photos, and other items to decorate your room

There are a few things not allowed in residence hall rooms, including halogen lamps, pets other than fish, rubber-backed carpeting, candles or other open flame items, hot plates, alcohol, and alcohol containers. When you arrive on campus, your resident assistant will review the policies with you to make sure you don't have any prohibited items.

Am I able to rent a loft for my room? 

Yes! If you live in Hallett, Erickson, Hoyum, Livedalen, or Fjelstad, you can rent a loft from our partner company, College Loft Services. Order your loft online by 6 p.m. Aug. 15. Lofts will be available on campus to pick up and assemble Aug. 21-22.

If you live in Park Region, your beds can be lofted by using the bed parts that come included in the room.

Are the residence halls open during academic breaks?

All halls remain open during breaks in the academic year. Students living in the traditional residence halls who wish to stay during winter break must apply and are charged a $15/night Winter Accommodations fee. Please note that dining options and student programming are often limited during breaks.

Can I bring a car, bike, or motorcycle? 

Yes, but you may not need them. Excellent transportation services are available in Fargo-Moorhead and Concordia is located within walking distance of shopping centers, downtown Moorhead and multiple churches. Daily bus service operates throughout the Fargo-Moorhead area and bus fare is free with a student ID. If you choose to bring a car or motorcycle to campus you will need to get a parking permit from Parking Services. If you bring a bike, be sure to bring a lock and consider taking it home in the colder months instead of trying to find storage on campus.

Do I need my own computer?

We have several computer labs around campus, including labs in most of the residence halls, but you may want to bring your own. When it comes time for tests and papers, the labs can fill up quickly. All residence halls are wired for high-speed Internet, connections that work with both Macs and PCs.

How do I get involved on campus?

One of the best ways to get involved is just by living on campus. Your resident assistant will coordinate numerous activities for your floor and entire hall, in addition to being a great resource for other organizations and activities on campus. You'll meet many new people in your residence hall, classes, and during Orientation events.


Residence Life

Academy 110